Okay, you guys. Okay.
I have a confession. A secret that, up until now, I’ve been a tad ashamed of … and that I’ve only told a few select people about. It involves two brothers, one angel, the King of Hell, and a ’67 Chevy Impala.
Some of you are nodding your heads right now. You know where I’m going with this.
I’m a Supernatural fan. No, strike that. I’m a die-hard Supernatural uber-fan.
It all started innocently enough. One of my kids suggested we give it a try, so we watched an episode or two. AS IF one could stop there.
Dad went on a hunting trip … and he hasn’t been home in awhile.
I haven’t lead a normal life since that line was delivered. “Being productive” and “being in this fandom” do not mix. At. All.
Supernatural came into my life like a mack truck, bulldozing all of my feels. I’m hopelessly hooked. It’s like Scooby-Doo—only for adults, with a side of complex emotions and man tears.
And the lead actors hot. As in, SMOKING HOT. The Winchester brothers are funny and tragic and bad-ass, and it’s glorious. Honestly, the angel ain’t so bad either. I waffle between the three all the time. Because choosing is hard, you guys. (Although, DEAN.)
(I really, really, really hope my family isn’t reading this. For their sakes.)
I’m not the only one who’s on board with Supernatural … this show’s in its 11th season! It’s officially the longest-running North American sci-fi series, with millions tuning in each week.
The writing is excellent. The acting is excellent. (Did I mention the hot cast yet?) The whole show is just plain clever. I mean, the King of Hell’s meat-suit belonged to a literary agent from New York, and he speaks with a British accent. Natch.
You know what I find to be one of the most endearing things about Supernatural, though? The way the creators acknowledge their fandom in small but significant ways. There are episodes that are so meta and so amusing, you just have to laugh.
So the question is, how many of the folks reading this are in the same boat?
I’ve put together a little cheat sheet for you to gauge your level of obsession with the world of Supernatural.
How You Know If You’re A Die-Hard Supernatural Fan
1. You can identify the season just by looking at Sam’s hair.
2. You regularly find yourself passing over basic foods in favor of a slice of pie.
3. You hear a creepy noise in your house and run to get the salt instead of calling 911.
4. You find that “Idjits!” “Assbut!” “Balls!” and “Son of a Bitch!” are part of your every-day vocabulary.
5. You can’t eat pudding without smirking.
6. You’ve ever daydreamed about owning a ’67 black Impala.
7. You use Supernatural GIFs for basic communication.
8. You air guitar every time “Eye of the Tiger” comes on.
9. You find trench coats both stylish and sexy.
10. You believe that salting and burning are a viable solution to almost any problem.
11. “Carry On Wayward Son” is your ringtone.
12. You’ve seriously considered ways to work cosplay and a Comic-Con into your family vacation.
13. Jared, Jensen, Casteil, Misha, Charlie or Crowley are one (or all) of your pets’ names.
14. You find the King of Hell endearing.
15. You have a ridiculously bad day and blame it on a trickster.
Subscribe here to have delightfully chic (and sometimes snarky) opinions on must-have experiences delivered straight to your inbox!Note: Our posts might contain affiliate links. In case you don't know what those are, let us break it down for you. You buy the things we recommend; we get some cash. And when we say cash, we really mean change. Like, thirty-one cents. Fortunately, every little bit helps and we appreciate that you like what we like.